Introduction

My name is Santiago R. Lopez. I'm a 6th grader in Jennifer's class. I will be the narrator of these stories. My Winter break homework was to compare and contrast the great civilizations of the Aztecs and the Mayans to the Vikings. We've been studying the Vikings at school, but for Winter break I am at my other home in San Miguel de Allende Mexico.
That is why I want to look closer at the Aztec and Mayan culture.

Saturday, December 28, 2013

Words to Compare and Contrast

These are the contrast words.
These are the compare words.






















































My teacher Ms. Jennifer Kelly asked me to compare and contrast the Vikings, Aztecs, and Mayans. I wanted to find the words to help me do this. Contrary to popular belief the Vikings did not wear horned helmets. It was something created by painters, because before the Viking civilization, Nordic priests wore them in ceremonies. However I think there were probably times when the Vikings wore horned helmets. Unlike the Vikings, Aztecs wore feathered headdresses. But the Mayans liked to wear the green feathers of the quetzel bird. Yet it is interesting to see how these cultures differ while having somethings in common. Although the people lived in different places, they shared some things in common. For example, they all had slaves. Slaves are bad for the community in my opinion, because all humans should be treated the same. Slavery and wars are both very destructive. There! I used all the words to contrast.

Both the Mayans and Aztecs ate corn, or Maize in Spanish. And this same food was the most important staple to feed the people. Like the Aztecs and Mayans, the Vikings had a similar need to get from place to place. One thing they had in common was the use of boats. Aztec and Mayan boats were basically the same. But Viking boats were much larger, as well as faster. There! I used all the words to compare. And that's it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment