Introduction

My name is Santiago R. Lopez. I'm a 6th grader in Jennifer's class. I will be the narrator of these stories. My Winter break homework was to compare and contrast the great civilizations of the Aztecs and the Mayans to the Vikings. We've been studying the Vikings at school, but for Winter break I am at my other home in San Miguel de Allende Mexico.
That is why I want to look closer at the Aztec and Mayan culture.

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Location and Weather


















The Mayans were located in Central America in a place called Mesoamerica. This includes the countries of Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, El Salvador, and Honduras.


The Aztec people lived in the heart of Central Mexico. The big city, Tenochitlan, was located where modern Mexico City is today. It's four hours by bus from where I am now.
My dad was born in Mexico City.



The Vikings homeland was Scandinavian, including Denmark, Norway, and Sweden. The Vikings loved their ships and had great navigation skills. My mom's ancestors come from Sweden.

I thought that the Vikings lived somewhere that was frozen and very chilly. Then we read about the Viking world, and I learned that the Vikings lived during the Medieval Warm Period. Vikings traveled to Iceland during this time. We can measure the climate of the past from tree-rings, pollen and by looking at the ice core.

 











Where the Mayans lived it was very wet but then the weather changed to dry and the lack of rain might have made their cities die. The Aztecs lived in a valley 7000 feet above sea level surrounded by mountains on all sides, except the North. Because it was high, it was cool. They had a rainy season from May to October.


P.S. Blah, blah, blee, bloo!

No comments:

Post a Comment